- Derbyshire County Council
- Pedestrian Footbridge
- The Torrs Millennium Walkway is a spectacular bridge which nestles in a dramatic gorge above the River Goyt in the High Peak area of Derbyshire
- Designed and built at a cost of approximately £500,000 by Derbyshire County Council’s Highway Structures engineers, it spans an otherwise inaccessible cliff face and retaining wall overlooking Torr Vale Mill, a Grade II listed building built in the 1780’s.
- The bridge rises from the riverbed on circular steel columns and part is cantilevered off the railway retaining wall. It provides the final link in the 225-mile (362 km) Midshires Way and was opened in 2000.
- Originally built from steel with timber panels providing the walking surface, regular inspections by council engineers identified that the timber panels were deteriorating significantly. After a number of individual panel replacements, it was decided that the best long-term solution was to completely replace the rotting timber decking with Glass Reinforced Polyester (GRP) panels.
- Polydeck Limited proposed the use its 30mm thick foam core structural GRP anti slip panels to be mechanically fixed to the steel substructure. The panels are designed to take a loading of 5kN per square metre uniform distributed load with a less than 1/200 deflection.
- Following removal of the original decking and remedial work to the steel structure, the Polydeck panels were fitted. Following installation, the bridge was given a thorough cleaning.
- The panels had to be supplied in a specific grey colour to comply with the original planning conditions imposed when the walkway was built.
Contact Polydeck today for the right solution for your next project! Polydeck’s very own GRIPFAST range of anti-slip products are manufactured to the highest possible standards, using quality materials from our trusted UK suppliers.
So, if you would like to discover how Polydeck can assist you in finding the perfect anti-slip solution, give us a call today on 01934 863678. Alternatively, you can request for our team to contact you at a more suitable time by completing our quick and simple online enquiry form.