TRUSTED BY LOCAL AUTHORITIES & BUSINESSES ACROSS THE UK
- Pedestrian footbridge.
- Norfolk County Council were looking to refurbish the footbridge at Coltishall, near Norwich.
- The footbridge was situated over a private railway and covered by trees. The timber panels which provided the walking surface had rotted and were slippery when wet.
- As part of the refurbishment programme, the council wanted to replace the timber panels with something longer lasting. As a consequence, they contacted Polydeck for a solution.
- Polydeck recommended the use of its 45mm thick bridge decking planks, in a plain black gritted finish to match the previous design.
- The planks are made from a non-rotting GRP and have an integral near-diamond-hard anti slip finish which is guaranteed to provide a safe non-slip walking surface for 30 years.
- The structural foam core inside the planks is also made from 100 recycled plastic bottles, so is environmentally friendly.
- The bridge decking planks were bedded onto the longitudinal steel supports of the bridge and a GRP beam was fitted in the centre to ensure the planks met the councils loading requirement of 5kN per Square metre with a less than 1/200 deflection.
- The same planks were used to provide a robust kick board along the outside edges of the bridge. These were fixed through the steel with coachbolts.
- The planks were fitted whilst Tarmac (the councils main contractor) worked on the painting of the bridge.