Bristol Temple Meads is the oldest and largest railway station in Bristol. With parts designed by the Engineer Isambard Kingdom Brunel, it opened in 1840 as the western terminus of the Great Western Railway from London Paddington. Although it is a Grade 1 Listed Building, it is an extremely busy station handling over 10 million passenger entries and exits per year.
Polydeck Limited was selected by Network Rail to provide an upgrade to the staircase steps that provide access to the station’s 14 Platforms. There was a need to ensure that the treads complied with all relevant and recent legislation and would provide a long lasting and hard-wearing anti slip surface that fitted within the historic environment.
- Polydeck Limited proposed the use of its 12mm thick GRP DDA compliant anti slip treads and corduroy tactiles to be bonded and mechanically fixed to the existing stairs. The 12mm thick product was recommended for its particular ability to withstand the heavy foot traffic and luggage impacts, whilst providing a safe anti slip surface that complied with all Equality Act and Building regulation requirements.
- The treads were finished with a decorative diamond pattern and colour contrasting nosing to assist the visually impaired, in addition a series of directional stickers were stuck to the front of the nosings to assist with management of pedestrian flows at the station.
- The design of the treads enabled the material of the original steps to remain visible in compliance with Listed Building requirements
- Polydecks 12mm corduroy tactile products were also positioned at the top and bottom of each staircase to alert the visually impaired to the presence of the stair edges.
- The modular nature of the product enabled a phased installation to be successfully undertaken within the tight timescales of a busy station environment.
Contact Polydeck today for the right solution for your next project! Polydeck’s very own GRIPFAST range of anti-slip products are manufactured to the highest possible standards, using quality materials from our trusted UK suppliers.
So, if you would like to discover how Polydeck can assist you in finding the perfect anti-slip solution, give us a call today on 01934 863678. Alternatively, you can request for our team to contact you at a more suitable time by completing our quick and simple online enquiry form.